Online roulette is a must-have game for any self-respecting online casino. This game has been around in real-world casinos for a long time. Furthermore, its popularity continues in online casinos thanks to its low house edge. Best of all, you do not need to follow any strategy to improve your odds of winning!
This article will cover everything you need to know to enjoy online roulette. How does its gameplay work? How many different types of roulette are there? What are inside and outside bets? Read on to find out!
All roulette games work with the same fundamental rule. Your goal is to predict what number will be drawn by the roulette wheel! You do this by placing wagers on the roulette board. The board features thirty-seven or thirty-eight numbers, depending on the type of roulette. Press the spin button once you select what stakes you want to play. That will start the round and start spinning the wheel.
A ball rolls along the side of the wheel. Eventually, it will land in one of the numbered tiles on the roulette wheel. The number that lands is the winning number. You will receive a cash prize if you predict the winning number correctly. How much money you receive depends on your wager.
Roulette features various bets you can play. Each bet type has its odds of winning and a unique payout accompanying it. You are not limited to one or two wagers in online roulette either. Casino members can place as many bets as they want, provided they can afford to do so! You can split all stakes into two distinct types: inside and outside bets.
Inside bets are made on the numbered section of the roulette table. Their name comes from their position on the betting grid – closer to the center. Inside bets offer a lower chance of winning but come with higher payouts as a result.
- Straight-up bets cover one number on the board. Place the chip directly on that number to make that wager. The payout for this stake is 35:1.
- Split bets cover two numbers. You make this wager by placing the chip on the line dividing two numbers. The reward for this stake is 17:1.
- Street bets cover three numbers on the board. Place the chip on the line outside the first number to make that wager. The payout for this stake is 11:1.
- Corner bets cover four numbers. You make this wager by placing the chip in the center of all four numbers. The reward for this stake is 8:1.
- Line bets cover six numbers on the board. Place the chip on the same line as a street bet, but it touches two streets. The payout for this stake is 5:1.You find outside bets on the outside of the roulette table.
Outside bets cover more numbers, which makes them more likely to win. Because of the higher winning odds, these wagers almost always have lower payouts.
- Red/Black wagers try to predict whether the ball will land on a red or black square. Place a chip on the corresponding betting board section to make this wager. The payout for this bet is 1:1.
- Even/Odd bets predict if the ball will land on an even or odd number. You make a bet by placing a chip on the odd or even places on the board. The reward for this stake is 1:1.
- High/Low wagers bet whether the ball will draw a low (1-18) or a high (19-36) number. Place the chip on the 1-18 or 19-36 board sections. The reward for this wager is 1:1.
- Column stakes are placed on one of three columns of numbers. You make this bet by placing the chip on the 2 to 1 space on the roulette table. The reward for this wager is 2:1.
- You place Dozen bets on one of three consecutive number groups. Place the chip on the first, second, or third 12 spaces. The reward for this stake is 2:1.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF ROULETTE
The core roulette gameplay does not change much between roulette types. However, players should be aware of some key differences between these versions. These differences may affect which roulette table you decide to play. That is why we will talk about the main three roulette variants in this section.
American Roulette is easily recognizable. Unlike European and French Roulette, American Roulette has an extra position on the wheel: a double zero. That means American Roulette has thirty-eight numbers on the wheel total. The additional position translates to a higher house edge for the casino. It decreases your odds of winning, which is why we do not recommend this version. If you want to win, the following roulette type should be more up your alley.
European Roulette has just one zero instead of two. That one change halves the advantage the casino has over the players. Bringing down the house edge from 5.26% to 2.7% makes this version of roulette much better than its American counterpart. Because of that, it is no surprise that almost all online casinos feature European Roulette tables to some degree.
Last on our list is French Roulette. This game version has an even lower house edge, which is just 1.35%! French Roulette achieves this by adding new rules into the mix. The rules are La Partage and En Prison, and both apply to even money bets (Red/Black, Odd/Even, High/Low).
- La Partage gives you half your money back if the ball lands on a zero.
- En Prison ‘imprisons’ your funds when a ball lands on a zero. If you win the next round, you receive your money back. If you lose the next round, you lose the wager as well.
One thing to keep in mind is that not all French Roulette games have these rules. Some developers use the name for titles that use French words for UI elements but do not include these additional rules. We recommend checking the paytable before committing to it.
Alongside these games, roulette has many exciting variants. Currently, roulette games that add multipliers to the rules are trendy. This setup allows players to score massive wins. All of these variants use European Roulette as a basis. Feel like playing roulette? Check or list of recommended online casinos and start winning now!
*Photo by Anna Shvets